At Little Brothers, our growth and development are shaped by all those who make up our extended family. Here are some interesting statistics about each of these groups.
Our team of 60 employees works out of our head office and in our regional teams to identify seniors in the community who need our help, to recruit and supervise volunteers, to operate our vacation lodges, to raise funds and to oversee a variety of administrative tasks.
- 2,050 volunteers invested more than 186,000 hours of their time in our Elder Friends’ well-being in 2017.
- 575 new volunteers decided to reach out to our Elder Friends during the year.
- 15,000 visits were made to shut-ins confined to a hospital, a care facility or their home.
- 94% of our volunteers are satisfied with their experience at Little Brothers.
- On average, they dedicate 8 hours a month to the organization.
- 493 volunteers across the province benefited from 2,300 hours of training to ensure they have the skills and knowledge required to accommodate our Elder Friends’ needs.
WHO ARE OUR ELDER FRIENDS?
The Little Brothers family consists of more than 1,542 Elder Friends in 15 local chapters located in 11 regions throughout Quebec. In 2017, we were pleased and honoured to welcome 366 new Elder Friends into our ranks.
THE AVERAGE AGE OF OUR ELDER FRIENDS IS 86.
- 73% are women, and this percentage increases with age.
- We have20 centenarians in our extended family.
OUR ELDER FRIENDS ARE ALL ALONE, BUT THIS HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE.
- 56% are widowed, separated or divorced.
- 20% have no family members or friends at all; in other cases, family members are estranged or live far away.
OUR ELDER FRIENDS COME FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE BUT, LIKE THE MAJORITY OF QUEBEC’S SENIOR POPULATION, MANY ARE BURDENED BY FINANCIAL INSECURITY.
- Over 80% of our Elder Friends receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement
CLOSE TO 75% STILL LIVE IN THEIR HOME, WITH OUR WITHOUT HOME CARE SERVICES.
- 47% live in a retirement residence.
- 27% live at home.
- 26% live in CHSLDs and intermediate residences.
23% SUFFER FROM COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT.
Our 2,050 volunteers have been the cornerstone of Little Brothers’ work since 1962. In 2017, 575 new volunteers joined our extended family.
PROFILE OF OUR VOLUNTEERS
- Average age: 54
- 73% are women
- 35% are retired
- 42% have a full- or part-time job
- 15% are students
An impressive total of 15,324 donors, partners and sponsors joined forces to make a difference in the lives of lonely seniors by contributing to the Little Brothers Foundation in 2017. Each and every contribution we receive has a direct and immediate impact on our Elder Friends’ well-being.